Music Education Skills for the Primary Classroom
This 15 hour online course is a general introduction to music education in the primary school, encouraging creativity and providing practical ideas for use in the classroom. It is aimed at generalist classroom teachers with minimal music teaching experience, who wish to build their skills and confidence teaching music.
It is supervised and moderated by an experienced course instructor, who provides ongoing feedback and support throughout the course. It is organised into 5 modules, accounting for 15 hours of Professional Development over a 10 week period. The content is fully aligned to the music syllabus relevant to each State and to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
In 2020 three iterations of the course will be offered
- the NSW only course, run in partnership with the Centre for Professional Learning, is aligned to the music strand of the NSW K-6 Creative Arts Syllabus and Australian Professional Standards for Proficient Teachers
- the Australian Curriculum course is aligned with the music strand of the F-6 The Australian Curriculum: The Arts and Australian Professional Standards for Proficient Teachers
- the WA only course is aligned to the music strand of the P-6 Western Australian Curriculum: The Arts and the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
From this course, participating teachers will:
- Understand the value of music for learning
- Build skills as facilitators of successful music experiences in the classroom
- Plan and implement successful curriculum aligned Music teaching and learning programs
- Reflect on learning from the course in order to improve classroom practice
- Gain 15 hours of Accredited Professional Development*
This course addresses the following Australian Professional Standards for Proficient Teachers:
Professional Knowledge - 2.1.2; 2.2.2
Professional Practice - 3.2.2; 3.3.2; 3.4.2; 3.6.2; 5.1.2
Professional Engagement - 6.2.2; 6.3.2; 7.4.2
*Completing the course will contribute 15 hours of NESA and TQI Registered PD addressing the above Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW and the ACT.
If you have any questions please send an email to [email protected]